Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Irony

To me, this is the ultimate irony, watching C-SPAN showing people dancing to different songs between speakers. This was the first song I saw, around 8:30 pm EST on Wednesday night,

Everyday people - Sly and the Family Stone

Yes, Everyday People - a great song and really fun dance song. But here are the lyrics to Everyday People:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/sly_and_the_family_stone/everyday_people.html

Sometimes I'm right then I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my songs
A butcher, a banker, a drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people

There is a blue one who can't accept
The green one for living with a
black ones tryin' to be a skinny one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
We gotta live together
I am no better and neither are you
We're all the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me
You know me and then
Still can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people
There is a new man
That doesn't like the short man
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
We got to live together
There is a yellow one that won't
Accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and
Scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
I am everyday people

Based on the bolded lyrics and knowledge of the times of this song, it seems to be to be railing against the estabishment and their narrow mindedness about different people and different lifestyles. Not exactly what I think of when I think of modern Republicans, especially the Evangelical base. And then there is the very first line of the song - Sometimes I'm right then I can be wrong- when was the last time Republicans admitted they were wrong?

The next few songs -
Stray Cat Strut - a song about long haired freaks out dancing and acting tough
Footloose - Theme song from a movie about what - breaking out against an oppressive religous leader so they can dance. Have you heard of Republicans fighting against Religous Orthodoxy in order to dance?

Then Carly Fiorina came on to speak - she is the poster child for Republicans. She took over HP, engineered a terrible invasion, oops, sorry, merger of Compaq, then was forced out in disgrace by the board, but not before taking millions with her.

And they have no concept of the irony.

No comments: