Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Post about droid from droid 4 months later.

I am feeling some pretty heavy buyers remorse about the Droid (© Lucasfilm)
I wrote the above sentence about two weeks after I bought the Droid, in late December. While a few things are better, still not overly happy with the product, 4 months later.
I don't understand why it is so difficult to integrate more google products onto my droid, i figured it would be a walking version of google.com, including docs, reader, calendar, mail. some of these things are there, but for example, i spent a lot of time creating a calendar on google.com with my favorite sports team schedules, because i thought i would be able to see that on my phone, no such luck, very frustrating.

My overall impression of the operating system is that it should have been farther along by now, it seems like it should have been a leapfrog to iphone, where it just feels like some things are better and some worse, and a lot the same. Hasn't this OS been out for a while?

Also on the OS front, why is google allowing so many versions to exist at once? There are devices being sold with versions 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.1. I thought developers learned not to do this long ago.

Lastly, for the moment, I am shocked that the largest search company in the world would allow their phone application delivery program, Android Market to have such a momumentally bad search feature. I get the impression they are saying, "Stop saying we are becoming evil, see what we could do to the world?"

So google, do something with the Android OS to make it great or stop, please. This isn't something that can grow over time if it doesn't seem that innovative. I will say I like google maps navigation, except when I am told my destination is in the middle of I-75, but I can't move my stuff from itunes onto my phone? Car mode should allow a new link so I can record voice memos, or use text to speech while driving, why is my droid speaker so pathetic? Thats on Motorola, but this phone doesn't feel like it matches the Droid Does hype.

No comments: