Monday, October 15, 2007

My weekend and other thoughts

Hello, I wanted to tell you a few things about my weekend.

Somehow, I managed to get up at 6:30 am. I am going to stop right there for a moment so you can catch your breath. You feel better, ok. I participated in the Making Strides Against Cancer - Breast Cancer fund raiser on Belle Isle over the weekend. I was one of 10,000 walkers, and I completed the entire 5 mile route. (thank you). I did quite well in fundraising, considering that I did not even decide to walk until Friday morning, 8 days before the event. I still raised almost $500 for the cause. Of course, it is not hard to figure out why I walked. I love breasts and hate to see anything bad done to them. I walked with three other auditors and we had a good time. The weather stayed good enough to not be uncomfortable and we were done in less than 2 hours.

While we were standing around after the event, consuming the snacks that were provided, this seagull slammed into the cement right next to us. It was a disgusting sound, and we had no idea what to do. It lay there looking at us like "WTF?" and we could see the blood and life draining out of it. We stood around it for a while to make sure nobody stepped on it, tried to talk to the polices and security, and finally some of the event organizers found a box to cover the poor thing and called animal control. It was a terrible feeling that seemed to color the rest of the day, just watching it laying there, no way to help, I didn't have the guts to put it out of it's misery. I didn't go to lunch with my co-walkers and spent the rest of the day in a melencoly mood.

I think that had a little bit to do with my decision to actually stay at the office for a little while and get some work done. I was kind of surprised that I did not go home and go to bed, but I did some work, listened to the first half of the Michigan game, where they finally played a good game, and then went home. Even when I got home, I made some lunch and then did cleaning until around 4:30, when I finally took a nap.

I awoke around 7 to watch the parade of upsets. I went to bed around 12:30. Not that exciting, I know, but there are already so many things in this narrative that would not normally go on in my life that I thought I should throttle it back a little.

Woke up Sunday before the alarm I had set for 10 am. Again, I will give you time to let your heart stop racing. I cooked breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, took a walk, sorted pills for the week, until I went over to watch the Cowboys/Patriots game with my brother. I watched a few episodes of Heroes (just looks great, so many intriguing story lines) and then to bed. All in all, I completed a number of things, did some good, acted mostly like an acutal adult.

I did have some depressing thoughts, my computer may need to be replaced, and I can't afford that right now (unless 1000 people a day started reading this thing - email all your friends), I may try to roll back the operating system I installed a year ago, but I don't know if I want to take that kind of effort. The machine is over 5 years old, and just getting too slow to do all the things I want to do with it. For instance, I am not able to post on this blog, because typing gets so far behind it becomes unbearable. I would type something and have to wait 2-3 seconds to see what would appear on the screen. I went through a lot of the typical tune up things, including killing the dashboard, switching browsers, restarting, but this isn't the first time I have seen this. The machine is simply not powerful enough to use whatever cat operating system 10.4 is.

And then, after spending a hour or so determining my options, I thought my ipod had died. That scared me too, but was unfounded. Right now, my ideal ipod would be an ipod touch with 100 GB of space. I keep thinking about using Safari on the ipod touch in connection with a tool like blogger (this one) and google docs to do most of my writing, posting and reading the web.

I realize I hadn't posted about Lauren Graham for a long time, so I searched for her on imdb.com, and she is finishing up a movie (Flash of Genius) about Robert Kearns, who invented the intermittent windshield wiper that is standard in cars now. This is a big story around Detroit, since the legal battles took decades before the courts awarded him damages. It doesn't look like they filmed anything in Detroit (mostly Hamilton and Toronto), so that means she wasn't in town where I could have... well, lets' not call it stalking... maybe seen her around town or something.

Anyway, on that disturbing note, I am going to go back to work, have a good one.

No comments: