Sunday, October 29, 2006

Saturday Night

Spent most of Saturday night over at my parents. My mother had a seizure last night so I went over to see her for a while, the short time while she was awake. She has had seizures before, but they still don't know what is causing them. She seems to be doing fine, but was very tired. So, I spent a few hours over there to be with her, and try to watch her for a little while so dad could relax a little. Don't know if he did or not. After she went to bed, dad, Jason and I watched The Maltese Falcon (1941) Jason had bought it for dad for his birthday last week. An excellent film, if you have not seen it, I would highly recommend it. It is #56 on IMDB.com Top 250. One of the things I noticed is that there are several plot elements that would be impossible to put into a story today, with technology being different and viewers having seen some of the plot elements used. Being a writer of limited talent, I find it hard to come up with a story that is not deriviative of something. And based on the number of bad films, stories and shows out there, I am not the only one that finds it difficult. Still, I wondered if there have been people that have written extensions of the film, picking up the story of the Falcon at other points. Maybe someone has the bird, maybe someone sees the film and recognizes someone in it that is their grandfather. The classic movie pitch - It's Maltese Falcon meets Rumor Has It.

Another thing I was thinking, once I got home and started playing some solitare - let's not even talk about the fantastically boring life I lead by the way - and listening to Neil Young. His song "Like A Hurricane" has the following lyrics.

You are like a hurricane

There's calm in your eye.

And I'm gettin' blown away

To somewhere safer

where the feeling stays.

I want to love you but

I'm getting blown away.



I am just a dreamer,

but you are just a dream,

You could have been

anyone to me.
I love that first line of the chorus. Absolutely astounding. Imagery that really brings home the force of personality.

Anyway, just wanted to share that lyric with you. I think I will finish my beer and go to bed. Feel better mom.

Sean

No comments: