Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Figured something out

Now I know why hospital shows are so popular on tv. It's not that the human stories of life and death, and those who deal with it, has an obvious inherent drama, although I can see why you would think that. Nope, it's much more subtle. Think about most of the doors in a hospital. They are mostly double doors that open together. The classic dramatic move of pushing open a pair of double doors, which I think started in Westerns and was done very well by Viggo Mortensen in LOTR: The Two Towers, is in almost every scene of transition from one set to another. A subtle device to be constantly raising the level of tension. Viewers think, "Oh, both doors just opened! Something important must be happening."

Well, I am tired, laying on my couch trying to fall asleep, I have got to get my bed back together soon. I am really glad for the wireless card on the laptop. Night all.

Sean

No comments: