Friday, September 15, 2006

George Bush's Big Crime

Other than selling the Rangers to Tom Hicks.

Once again, listening to NPR 7 AM podcast (as part of my continuing efforts to get out of bed on time). One of the stories was about the secret CIA terrorist "concentration" [my term] camps in Europe and another was about the Republicans fighting back and not passing the President's bill on trying terror suspects as enemy combatants in front of a military tribunal.

My problem with the administrations position (and worse - actions) on these topics, plus the torture of suspects advocated by Gonzales and others, have eroded the country's moral high ground. I was alway very proud I was able to say that we didn't do that to prisioners (at least as policy, individual actions notwithstanding) and that we had learned lessons from Vietnam about treatment of people where we cannot tell the figthers from the civilians. Bush and Rummy and Gonzales (sp?) have all worked very hard to erode that moral ground - saying that we have to be cruel in ordert to beat the terrorists. I am not privy to DOD workings and have not ever been in combat or in charge of those in combat - but I don't know if I want to, or if we can, win any "war" (can't be a war with no country to declare war against) for our way of life if we continue to degradate ourselves and our prisoners in this manner. If we want to be the shining light of democracy, we can never act in ways that we would want kept in the dark.

Sean

No comments: