Sunday, September 10, 2006

Women's Tennis and other sports

Wow, Maria Sharapova is a beautiful woman - you can find pictures of her all over the place. Oh wait, here is one. (From cnnsi.com)
She appears to be one heck of an athlete as well. So here is my complaint, why can't women tennis players play 3 out of 5 sets like the men? The best tennis matches in history are always the grueling 5 hour ones where two men battle it out over 5 sets and momentum makes huge swings back and forth, announcers musing about which player will break first - tennis wise, mentally and physically. A great battle of athletics and wills. You don't get that in women's tennis. How long was the match tonight (Women's final of the U.S. Open) - like 50 minutes or so? That's not even enough time to get interested. I am glad to see the money is getting up there for women - 1.7 million for Maria. From quick research they pay the men the same amount. Doesn't that seem unfair, someone getting paid the same amount of money for less work. That kind of thing should not be allowed.

That was a great dress though - based on Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's style. The shot of Maria trying to call someone on her gold Razr was of funny.

If you have a good reason why the women can't go to the 3 of 5 format, I would love to read it. I suppose I could have done some research, but screw that. I would rather assume I am right. And I will eliminate dumb, stupid or sexist comments, only I get to make those.

Women's Softball -
Why the game so damn small? Why are the bases so close together? Why is the pitchers circle so close to the plate? The pitchers are powerful enough that what little I watched of the college world series seemed like nothing but slap hits from defensive swings or strikeouts. I couldn't watch it long. Until they get rid of the feeling like I am watching a little league game, it won't have the allure of baseball at real dimensions.

That was the sensible comment, here is the inflammatory one. How am I supposed to take the sport seriously when some of the girls were wearing makeup - not just eye-black, but mascara and eye-liner. Go ahead, comment on that.

Other notes -
I would like to congratulate the Detroit Shock for winning the WNBA title. Notice I did not say my Detroit Shock, like I would with any other Detroit team. Sorry, I don't follow the game, so I can't say my team. Good going though.

My Detroit Tigers look like they are going to bomb out of the playoffs after losing another to the Twins tonight. I have thought about this and decided that I will be upset for a while, and then spend the winter thinking about the greatness for the team next year and reliving the pleasure of the season for the first 120 games. When did this team stop hitting? More on that another time.

Ahh, that's enough. Later.

No comments: